When the food products are sold in the market, it is essential to pack these solid, semi-solid or liquid products carefully before offering for sale. Initially, the packaging of foods was needed mainly for protecting the foods from dust, dirt and various air-borne contaminations. However, now food packaging also serves another vital purpose, namely the brand marketing of the company. Hence, all the prime market players of food industry make sure of having the best quality package for all their food products.
Main benefits in branding achieved from the food packaging
- Makes the brand distinct –
The unique style of decorating the packaging and labels of a particular food product makes it much distinguished among all other similar foods available in the market. The attractive designing of the product package and its label makes this brand more noticeable to the customers.
- Package color influence customers –
The color of the packaging should be chosen very wisely, as simpler and lesser uses of colors are more agreeable to the customers. The color selection also depends on the nature of the product. Demography of the place where the food is sold is counted as another factor in choosing colors of packaging.
- Can make a brand memorable
Some brands of food products gain more popularity over the times and the packaging of these foods instantly mark them as the favorite ones. Therefore, the reputed brands never change their company logos or the colors or styles of writing on their packaged food products.
- Most effective marketing tool
The well-defined packaging with labels acts as the advertising agents of the company products, mainly in case of retail sales. The logos printed on these packaged foods become more easily familiar among the consumers, who are having a good look at the foods offered for sale in the shops.
Different types of food packaging that contribute to branding
- Customized printed paper boxes –
The dry food products are mostly packed securely in paper boxes. The printed paper food boxes of a brand contain the company name and its logo, along with the details of that packed food. However, usually pizzas, dry cereals, snacks, and various frozen foods are sold in these attractive printed paper food boxes that trigger the hunger of the consumers.
- Cardboard cake boxes
The cake shops and bakeries buy bulk amounts of cakes boxes from the box manufacturers, for the packaging of their prepared cakes of all shapes and sizes. These cake boxes are usually made of sturdy cardboard that can protect the delicate cakes placed inside and also bear the name or logo of the bakery that prepares those cakes.
- Sandwich takeaway boxes These disposable sandwich takeaway boxes are beautifully customized according to the triangular shapes and the common sizes of the sandwiches of all flavors. These sandwich takeaway boxes are usually made of glossy laminated papers, on which the sandwich manufacturer’s name is printed for brand promotion.
- Metal or glass cans – The liquid food products, such as cold drinks or fruit juices are packaged in small cans made of light metals or glasses. Thin steel sheets are quite commonly used for the long shelf-life of the packaged juices and other liquid foods, on which the manufacturers’ names are imprinted.
- Plastic or paper bags –
The food products, like chips, biscuits, fruits and vegetables are packed with thin plastic or paper bags that are tough enough to prevent all damages of the foods stored inside. These bags also store some air inside for keeping the foods in fresh conditions.
Therefore, food packaging serves dual purposes of protection of the food products and also the ready marketing of the food manufacturing companies, when displayed in the stores.