Using flat irons help simplify and speed up your hair straightening efforts. It is, however, important that you use the right type of iron. You should choose the best flat iron after considering all the key factors such as your hair type, the plate’s width, temperature settings, and the unit’s shape.
1. Plate Width
When looking for the right flat irons, make sure to consider the plate width, which can range from just 1/2 inch to 3 inches. Flat irons with 1-inch plates can be used for almost all length and types of hair. However, it is recommended to choose a larger-width plate if you have longer hair.
2. Temperature Control
Make sure to choose flat irons with adjustable temperature feature. Choose an iron that offers different heat settings. The ideal units will achieve temperatures of 300°F to 410°F. Some devices can achieve even higher temperatures.
- Choose flat irons with lower temperatures if you have thin and fine hair
- Choose irons with higher temperature setting if you have thick, coarse or curly hair
3. Consider Flat Irons Shape
A more versatile iron can be used for straightening hair and to create waves and curls. Units with rounded edges can be used for creating different hair styles. So look for a more versatile unit instead of something that is meant only for straightening. It will help you wear more styles.
4. Consider Your Hair Type
The type of hair you have is a major factor in choosing the best flat iron. Typically, there are 4 major hair types. These are as follows:
- Type 1: If you have straight hair without any curves, they are likely to remain oily. You would want to get rid of some of that oil too.
- Type 2: You may have naturally wavy hair
- Type 3: Some people have S-shaped strands making up their hair, creating ringlets. Usually, those of mixed race have this type of hair.
- Type 4: You may have hair featuring tightly coiled tresses that don’t have ringlets. You are more likely to have such hair if you are African American.
All these different hair types are further categorized into further sub-types. So make sure to evaluate your hair type and choose the right type of flat irons to address your specific needs.
So you should take all these key factors into account when choosing the best flat iron.